As part of something I’ve been hacking on the side, I have a need to run a bunch of PhantomJS 2.0 containers on a Docker host. While I could’ve just built an image that includes its binary and consider it done, there is currently a need to build the phantomjs binary from sources for Linux machines. Not only that is a PITA but it also requires us to do some “juggling” to clean up build-time dependencies and it still produces a somewhat large Docker image as a result (something in the ~400mb).
After some initial research I could find a Docker image that does that heavy lifting but I still wanted a smaller image as I have been bitten by the “minimalist docker images” bug after coming across this blog post and also getting to know Alpine Linux.
My first attempt was to use the gliderlabs/alpine image and build phantomjs from sources but unfortunately that didn’t work. I’m not sure what is the actual root cause for that but I had lots of weird compilation errors. I risk saying it is because of musl libc or the compiler available to Alpine Linux but I haven’t had a chance to dig into it yet. I even tried using Alpine’s prebuilt QtWebKit packages (required by PhantomJS) but had no luck as well.
Using dockerize to produce a minimalist image
After failing at compiling PhantomJS from sources, I decided to take a stab on using dockerize to produce the bare minimum required to run the phantomjs CLI.
dockerize is a pretty cool tool for creating minimal Docker images from dynamically linked
ELF binaries. Its CLI has
many different options and the idea is that
you can run a simple
dockerize -t sed /bin/sed and get a minimal image with everything
that is needed for
sed to run using
scratch as the starting point.
In order to make things simpler, I created an environment
based off of rosenhouse/phantomjs2
dockerize in place and started hacking away on top of it. After lots of experiments,
this is what I put together to produce the sources for a minimalist PhantomJS image:
# For the most up to date version of this, please check the link below: # https://github.com/fgrehm/docker-phantomjs2/blob/master/dockerize-phantomjs dockerize -n -o dockerized-phantomjs \ -e $(which phantomjs) \ -a /bin/dash /bin/sh \ -a /etc/fonts /etc \ -a /etc/ssl /etc \ --verbose \ $(which phantomjs) \ /usr/bin/curl
Can’t get any easier than that right?
But that actually took me a while to get it right. As you might imagine, things did not work
on my first interactions with
dockerize. The tool itself works perfectly, but for reasons
that I haven’t figured out yet the
phantomjs CLI did not work properly on my new image
unless I also vendor
curl related dependencies. Another thing that gave me trouble was
the fact that system fonts were not being included on the new image and screenshots produced
phantomjs for some apps would come out with blank text blocks because of that.
My advice in case you decide to try out
dockerize with some other executable is
to provision a container with the executable within a
docker run and
docker diff CONTAINER_ID
afterwards, looking for potential “suspects” that might be missing on your minimal
With everything running smooth locally, the next step was to set up an Automated Build
and get the image on the hub. There is just a small gotcha around
that: AFAIK there is no way we can docker inside
docker build as it does not support the
that is required to run nested docker instances.
To work aroud that, I created a GitHub release
on the project with a tarball of all dependencies that can be extracted under
Based on the
Dockerfile I used to build the image locally,
Dockerfile looked like this:
FROM scratch ADD https://github.com/fgrehm/docker-phantomjs2/releases/download/v2.0.0-20150722/dockerized-phantomjs.tar.gz / ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/local/bin/phantomjs"]
But that did not work and the reason can be found in the
<src>is a local tar archive in a recognized compression format (identity, gzip, bzip2 or xz) then it is unpacked as a directory. Resources from remote URLs are not decompressed. When a directory is copied or unpacked, it has the same behavior as
tar -x, the result is the union of:
- Whatever existed at the destination path and
- The contents of the source tree, with conflicts resolved in favor of “2.” on a file-by-file basis.
I got tricked by the fact that local files
ADDed to an image are automagically extracted but
ADDed files are not. Since the
scratch image has an empty filesystem, my solution
to this was to keep things simple again and just switch to an Alpine Linux base image that
curl so I can download the tarball from GitHub and extract it on top of
/ without relying on the
FROM gliderlabs/alpine:3.2 RUN apk-install curl \ && curl -Ls https://github.com/fgrehm/docker-phantomjs2/releases/download/v2.0.0-20150722/dockerized-phantomjs.tar.gz \ | tar xz -C / ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/local/bin/phantomjs"]
That’s mostly because the phantomjs tarball has ~50Mb and I didn’t want to include it on
source control, but if your executable is small, I’d recommend keeping it around and
sticking to the
FROM scratch +
ADD tarball.tgz / combo when possible.
The image is already available on the Docker Hub as
fgrehm/phantomjs2 so feel free to
give it a try.
Some of you might question the security out of using my image as it involves extracting a
remote tarball on top of
/. If you are one of those feel free to build the image yourself,
its as easy as a
git clone and a
make build.local. If you want to go hardcore and / or
have the time to spend building phantomjs from sources, you can
make phantomjs.build build.local :)